Sunday, September 11, 2011

Launching TheMushroomHunter.com!!!

Well, I finally launched my mushroom website!  Check out http://www.themushroomhunter.com when you have a chance!

We are finally seeing some of the great Fall mushrooms here in Northeast Ohio!  I have found over 20 pounds of Maitake in the last two weeks or so, and have been enjoying them nearly every night.  Last night, I made a wonderful risotto with chopped Maitake, and the broth that I used was made from Turkey Tails, False Turkey Tails and Shiitake stems.  I topped it with a little chopped tomato and sweet basil chiffonade, plucked from my garden!

Chanterelle season is coming to an end, but I'm still finding a few here and there.  They are barely peeking out from underneath the newly fallen leaves.  Puffballs are abound, and I've been collecting lots of pear-shaped, purple-spored, gem-studded and even a few giants!

Oh, and I forgot to mention the best thing about Fall mushroom hunting...fewer biting insects!  There are still a few pesky mosquitoes and biting flies around, but their numbers will dwindle in the coming weeks...

As always, good luck and happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment