Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Let the wild food feast begin!

I had a few hours to spare yesterday and took a nice walk in the woods. The cold weather has silenced the Spring Peepers, but I'm sure their songs will fill the air soon enough.
With reports of Morel finds throughout Ohio, I had high hopes of finding a few, but it just didn't pan out. I did, however, come across several False Morels, which means that the edible varieties will be on their way soon!
Luckily, my foraging attempt wasn't completely unproductive. I did manage to collect a handful of fiddleheads and a serving or two of stinging nettle. Fiddleheads are a tasty treat, with a string-bean/sweet pea flavor, and I usually either steam or blanch them very quickly, then finish them with a little butter, salt and a squeeze of lemon juice. Nettle has a very earthy, hemp-like flavor, and I like to do a quick sauté in a little butter and olive oil, simply seasoned with salt and pepper. These wild edibles have such unique and distinct flavors, so I try to keep the seasoning very simple to let the natural flavors come through.
Take care when harvesting fiddleheads that you only take a few from each plant, or else you will likely end up killing it! Remember that not all ferns are edible, so avoid any with a wooly fiber coating, which will not only taste terrible, but will most likely make you sick, as well. As always, consult a reputable field guide before consuming any wild food!

No comments:

Post a Comment